Managing a remote team is about employee empowerment,not oversight.
Remote employees that excel are self-motivated,reliable and results-driven.As a manager,你的工作是创造一个支持性的环境，鼓励员工管理自己的项目，这样你就可以专注于建立信任和沟通的文化。新利
1.Immersive Hiring Process
雇佣合适的人是管理远程团队最重要的部分。Remote employees must be motivated and results-driven with exceptional communication,organizational,and self-management skills.
确定候选人是否具有这些特征的最好方法是给他们一个远程任务，followed up by a simulated work day with your team.While the assignment should test their proficiency for the role,它应该突出他们远程工作的能力。
- 预分配：Set up a video chat to give the assignment,允许候选人提出明确的问题。You will get a good idea of their personality and thought process by the questions they ask.
- Assignment:Create an assignment with two sets of deliverables due at different times to assess their self-management skills.项目期间的反馈和问题应该是异步的，使用协作工具或电子邮件来评估他们的书面技能。
- Simulated Day:Follow up the assignment with an addition that requires collaboration with other team members.这一天应该模拟正常的工作日。以视频聊天结束，听取汇报并征求反馈意见。
[ Image source:LinkedIn]
远程员工数周内无法通过镜像同事来学习。他们需要一个全面的计划，使行政后勤自动化，并在业务的各个方面培养新员工，including the company's mission and 新利culture,工作流程，and any other FAQs relevant to the day-to-day routine.
Here are some ideas in managing a remote team to help structure your program:
- 预登机：Automate new hire logistics with a benefits tool like津津有味to get your employees set up quickly.
- Ramp-up:Create a repository of videos and FAQ's — everything they need to understand the company and how things work — with a tool like肥皂盒.Video tools likeWistiacan track video engagement,allowing you to optimize the program.
- Ongoing Support:Assign a work buddy that can fill in the gaps and ensure the new hire has support from day one.
3.Crystal Clear Expectations
- A Visionthat motivates and aligns efforts in pursuit of a common purpose.
- Objectivesto set a clear direction and define what you want your team and each employee to achieve.
- 主要结果that help employees measure progress towards the objectives.
- Actionsmatching the specific tasks you want each employee to complete.
Standardizing your processes within a collaborative tool is paramount to keeping everyone in sync.Remote workers will already have strong opinions on what tools and processes to use,but you need everyone to work in the way that you want the work to flow.Your workflow guidelines should be documented and strictly adhered to.
有无数的软件工具可以帮助您管理您的工作流程，并让员工了解其他人正在从事的工作。Here are three types:
- Document collaboration – Quip's协作系统允许您查看和评论您的团队正在处理的所有文档。
- 文件共享协作- 拥挤是一个项目管理工具，专注于围绕上载文件进行协作。
- 项目管理- Teamwork Projectskeeps an online record of who is responsible for what,所以没有任何任务能从裂缝中溜走。
Arecent Harvard studyhas shown how reflecting on one's work and keeping a "18luckdone list" improves productivity by 30% as well as overall employee happiness.Sharing progress keeps everyone accountable,but more importantly,它激发了个人对可能需要帮助的人作出贡献和支持的愿望。
Daily progress tools likeI 18luckDone This方便管理者分享生产力。I 18luckDone This integrates with all your workflow tools creating a central hub for tracking progress across the entire team.所有人都提交了当天完成的工作，and I 18luckDone This creates a report of the team's accomplishments for all to see.
在项目周围和团队成员之间持续的交流对于保持远程团队在同一个页面上是非常关键的。有几十种工具可供选择，it is critical that you develop guidelines,所以您的团队知道在每个场景中使用哪种工具。
As a starting point,您可以将通信分类为异步和同步。您的大部分通信应该是异步的，revolving around project comments,日历，notifications,and email.
Chat keeps the team updated quickly,但它同时也是分享故事和促进企业文化的中心社交中心。新利The ability to spontaneously connect with one another on chat is the closest thing to those water cooler conversations where new ideas happen,and relationships form.
It takes extra effort to nurture relationships and keep people feeling connected to the team.As the manager,这取决于你如何促进员工互动，帮助建立同理心，trust,and camaraderie.Here are some ways you can get your team involved:
Everyday chat engagement –Create a channel to celebrate #milestones where the team can rally around accomplishments and progress.Create a second channel for #random fun where the team can post funny stories,gifs,以及个人照片。
Leadership round robin –为不同的团队成员提供机会，让他们在短期项目中管理他人，并有一个具体的目标来实现，从而展示他们的领导技能。
Get personal at team meetings –Set aside time in your all-hands meeting to host a Q&A for one employee.其他团队成员可以询问关于家庭的个人问题，hobbies,etc.
Well-being check-ins –通过询问员工的工作生活平衡以及他们对远程工作的总体满意度，开始您的一对一会议。Give them an opportunity to share ideas that can help the rest of the team.
After work activities –鼓励员工在工作后围绕共同的价值观和兴趣保持联系。Start a book club,coordinate aHealth Herochallenge with prizes or give employees a stipend to grab a drink together in a virtual happy hour.
Your processes and tools play a critical role in your team's success,but you should also spend your time being accessible,creating a casual environment and providing timely and constructive feedback.
通过授权你的团队对自己的工作负责，your leadership focus changes to support each employee in a 新利culture that brings people together and inspires productivity.
P.S.If you liked this article,you should订阅我们的时事通讯.我们将通过电子邮件向您发送一篇每日博客文章，其中包含关于如何更好地工作的可行和非常规建议。